The Labour Party has announced the Eastern region list of MEP candidates for the European elections due to take place on Thursday 23 May.
The list is headed up by current Labour MEP Alex Mayer.
In the European Parliament Alex is Labour’s spokesperson for the economy and a key animal welfare campaigner. She recently presented an 8 million signature petition to the United Nations in New York on the topic of animal free cosmetic testing. She has won European funding for projects across the region including cash to insulate flats and help get people back to work. She has voted for better protections for workers and for action on climate change.
Alex Mayer MEP said: “For as long as Britain is in the European Union we need British MEPs standing up for the people of Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire. Only this week I was in the Parliament voting for research funding, for better rules on sustainable finance and to improve working conditions for people on zero hours contracts.
I am delighted to head a strong team of Euro candidates. We will fight for local investment, action on climate change and cracking down on tax dodgers.”
The full list of Euro candidates for the East of England is:
1. Alex Mayer MEP
2. Chris Vince: a maths teacher and Harlow councillor. He previously stood as the Essex Police and Crime Commissioner candidate.
3. Sharon Taylor OBE: long-term leader of Stevenage Council
4. Alvin Shum: sits on the Executive Committee of Chinese for Labour
5. Anna Smith: deputy leader of Cambridge City Council
6. Adam Scott: a policy officer
7. Javeria Hussain: an Ambassador for the Luton Mela.